MS Word (docx) file format is a huge format, and although we have done a lot of work to make the importing process as smooth as possible even for Manuscripts 1.0, even for large and messy documents, some docx file format features are not yet fully supported by the Manuscripts Word importer.
We hope to support more of these features on import in incremental updates before and after the 1.0 version. Currently the known list of partially supported or missing features is as follows:
Partially supported docx import features
- Importing tracked changes: all tracked changes are applied on import.
- There is experimental support for rejecting changes, and for presenting applied changes as inline comments, from the version 0.9.30 onwards.
- To reject all changes on importing (i.e. to delete all deletions and to ignore insertions), open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and issue the following command:
defaults write com.manuscripts.Manuscripts MPImportWordChangeTracking 2
- To reject all changes on importing, open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and issue the following command:
defaults write com.manuscripts.Manuscripts MPImportWordChangeTracking 3
- Comments: comments are inserted as inline text content when pasting from clipboard. They are not supported yet when importing or opening a Word document in the app. We intend to turn comments into Manuscripts annotations in an update in a post-1.0 update.
Unsupported docx import features
The following features are known not to work yet. Sending us example documents always helps us a lot to improve the quality of Word importing.
- Inline mathematical equations: we intend to support this in a post-1.0 update.
- multiple columns: we may be able to support this in an update but cannot yet commit to this.