EDIT: This applies for version 1.0.45 - newer versions may fix the issues I describe here.
Maybe some new users are also considering using Manuscripts for their next assignment, so I'd thought I share my experience so both new users and matt can profit.
I started playing with Manuscripts because design concepts and philosophy are great, and I really could use a tool like this. I liked it so much I even shelled out my $ to support it!
Last week I had to write a 25 page assignment, it included maths and images. I thought it would be a great chance to Manuscripts and see how it'd perform in real life.
- You will find lots of bugs and crashes, and be prepared to rewrite some sections (even though you just saved it a couple minutes before the crash, that great paragraph won't be there the next time you open your file).
- Copy pasting to your other favorite text editor won't work either as a backup, as you can't tell what's been yanked and what's not being copied to the clipboard.
- Even when you decide to export to your other favorite writing app because you just need to go ahead and stop fighting bugs, you will have to rewrite lots of stuff, and formatting will be painful.
- Submitting bugs usually gets them fixed in a couple of incremental releases, but they take time.
- (may not apply if you don't use equations) equation writing and handling is very very buggy.
Matt's support and bug squashing capabilities are amazing, but I think usability is not just at 1.0 level, its somewhere between alpha/beta. So I went back to my old latex editor. It lacks most of the cool features introduced with Manuscripts but it's rock solid and provides a deterministic behavior.
TL;DR: Manuscripts has great potential but be ready to deal with lots of bugs, crashes and rewriting. So be careful when choosing it to write that hard deadline assignment, you may want to prefer your good old latex editor.