I've just started using Manuscripts as it looks quite promising. I just came across a couple of pretty annoying bugs related to simple operations:
I am using version 1.0.33.
- When I copy a word from within Manuscripts and paste it at a different location, the preceding whitespace is always removed. E.g. I select apple from "This is an apple." and write "I like <COMMAND+V> juice" it will produce "I likeapple juice". This is super annoying.
- There doesn't seem to be a way to ignore previous formatting when pasting something. I copied a word from a website and pasted it into a paragraph and it suddenly turned into a list. I know this sometimes happens when apps try to be smart but all serious writing apps allow you to ignore the formatting. I also notice it's impossible to copy just the word from list of words. The app always copies the list formatting as well.
- I am not able to select the text of a paragraph and the preceding list to delete all at once. The text selection only selects the current list item my mouse is hovering. I notice that the text selection works when selecting text from the top to the bottom but not in the opposite direction. It seems like it's randomly breaking.
- When I want to start a new paragraph after a list I can hit <ENTER> + <ENTER>. The odd thing is that in the event that there is already a paragraph after the list, the new blank paragraph gets inserted after that existing paragraph instead of being inserted at the end of the list.
- When the window is maximal and the inspector window is closed and I want to open it I have to manually shrink the app window in order to see the inspector because the main window is shrunken automatically but simply expanded beyond my screen's size.
- Clicking on the alignment icon next to the eye-icon in the style inspector crashes the app when section heading is selected.
- Sometimes the icon to switch to the focus mode doesn't appear.
- Is there a way to number paragraphs and cross-reference them? I am not sure how the author's wrote their dissertations but I need to number my chapters.
Don't get me wrong I like the idea of the app, that's why I bought it, but I am wondering when it actually leaves the early beta phase? No app is complete when v1 is released but at least the very basic features should work. It's great to see quick updates but it would have been more honest to call this beta testing rather than v1. I don't see anybody writing a serious dissertation at this point.