I continue to use Manuscripts, with some care, for a writing project, a scholarly article about 9000 words in length. Today, as I was making what I hope are final revisions before shipping the article off to the publisher, I decided to split the long second section of the article into two sections, in other words to add a new, second section in the middle of the former second section, the latter part of which would now become the third section. Using the Insert menu I added the section break and entered the section title. That worked as I had expected and I continued editing for a bit until I decided to double-check something in a footnote in the new section. The footnote marker was there, the first few words of the footnote were visible in the list along the left edge of the window, but the footnote no longer displayed at the end of the section, and could not be edited by clicking on the footnote reference in the body text. As far as I could tell, a good dozen footnotes which had formerly been entered and were editable before I inserted the new section break were now off-limits to me! After a good bit of consternation, trying to undo out of the change, quitting the app and then reopening the document, etc. I continued to be unable to edit the formerly-visible footnotes – hours of work lost! – until I tried adding a new footnote in the first paragraph of the new section. This somehow unstuck the display of footnotes and they returned from the deep. Something is pretty buggy here…
Scary footnote glitch
@tharpold this was most likely caused by something unexpected happening with the part of the app that formats the footnote list. If you have the document ever go to that state, we will be able to help you out with it very quickly if you send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and to resolve the issue in question. Even sending us the application's logs from the system console from the time when this happened (Console being /Applications/Utilities/Console.app – to see messages related to Manuscripts in Console, you can filter for messages that note the word "Manuscripts").
We take lots of steps to avoid data loss in the app, including storing a full version history of the document inside it. So although this looks scary and we will do our best to make it never happen, you can be rest assured that the data is recoverable from the document with our help (and soon actually also without).
CEO & Co-founder of Manuscripts.app Ltd